Apricot Ginger Lime Jam



I've gone a little nuts...with the jam that is.  I have made oodles of it this year, but this one is by far, the most outstanding of any jam I have made.  I was inspired by another vendor at the farmer's market and thought I could make my own, and make it better.  I think that the key to this is using really, really, horribly ripe apricots.  So ripe that they fall apart when you peel them and your hands are coated in juice.  I made another batch with not so ripe fruit and it was good, but not fantastic.

I am really in love with the flavor combination and with the lime juice.  It brightens the whole flavor and surprises your taste buds.  I used the lime juice and zest because I loved the little flecks of green zest in the orange jam.  What can I say...orange and green...I must be a child of the 70's!  The ginger plays a lovely role after the jam has cooled, you get this sweet spiciness in your mouth toward the end of your bite.  It's absolutely beautiful.

Apricots are high in pectin, so I didn't need to add any.  I think that jams made without additional pectin have a brighter, cleaner taste.  This jam makes me giggle, I am so excited about it!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  It is wonderful in yogurt, on toast, and even on ice cream.  Give it a go...


APRICOT GINGER LIME JAM
Backyard Farmgals

9 pounds peeled and pitted apricots and juice
5 cups sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
Zest from 2 limes
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced or grated

In a large pot add apricots and juice, sugar, lime juice, and ginger.  Stir to combine.  Bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent sugar from sticking, and cook until you reach the gelling point*.  Remove from heat, skim foam if necessary, ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Adjust two-piece lids and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.  Remove, allow to cool and check seals.  

*Gelling point:  Before you start cooking the fruit, place a couple of plates in the freezer.  When you test for a gelling point (take fruit off of heat while you test) remove a plate from the freezer, and place a spoonful of jam on the plate.  Allow the fruit to cool to room temperature.  If it holds it's shape and "gels" up it is ready.  If not, return fruit to heat and check again in a few minutes.    

Comments

  1. Holy apricots Batman! This jam is to DIE for. Get the bruised apricots and trim off the bruising. The fruit is very sweet and works great for this! Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an FYI, this makes about 15 or 16 1 cup jars of jam. I ended up making nine small one cup jars to can, and used various plastic ware containers to refrigerate and then make freezer jam. I had five containers of those I froze,of about one cup each in total.


    Also for those who are not regular jam makers, you need to cook the jam after it comes to a rolling boil, for about 30 minutes for it to come to the gelling point. When you put it on the plate that you froze, you let it sit for about 30 seconds to a minute and then tip the plate. The jelly should not run (much).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...