Green Farm Goddess Sandwich...


What does a Farmgal eat on a cold, crisp Saturday afternoon?  This yummy little sandwich is one of my favorite go-to quick lunches.  It's vegetarian, vegan, full of health and happiness, and packs a good dose of greens.  With Winter here, I find that I sometimes don't get enough greens in my diet.  It becomes a bit of a struggle.  Winter kind of kicks on this potatoes, pasta, rice switch in me and I am constantly reminding myself...GREENS!  I have even concocted a wonderful Green Monster Drink that I will be sharing soon - so yummy, you don't even know it's loaded with greens.  The rest of the year is easy, while I am in the various gardens I am constantly eating little nibbles of green...which reminds me, I am so excited for Spring.  It's coming, I can feel it starting to creep in.  Yay!


So here is a quick and easy way to get your greens.  Feel free to substitute spinach for the watercress (I love the spice of the watercress) or add some thinly sliced red peppers; I often add sprouts too.  On carnivore days, I usually make up a little herbed aioli (you can just add fennel fronds and minced parsley to a good healthy mayonnaise like Vegenaise) or fry an egg.  The sky is the limit on this recipe, have fun with it, and know you are doing something great for your body by feeding it the green stuff.  Plus, this is surprisingly filling and I feel great after eating it.


GREEN FARM GODDESS SANDWICH
backyard farmgals

2 slices of  Farmhouse Whole Wheat Flax Bread (or any good whole grain bread)
1 clove garlic
Handful of watercress leaves, washed and dried (or spinach)
6 slices of cucumber
1/2 avocado, sliced
A couple leaves of Italian parsley, finely chopped
salt to taste
pepper to taste

optional: sprouts, red pepper, aioli...you name it!

method:

Toast the two slices of bread.  Cut the clove of garlic in half, and rub the cut side on the toasted bread to flavor.  Top one of the slices of bread with watercress, cucumber slices, avocado, parsley, a little salt and pepper.  Place the other slice of bread on top and cut in half.  Enjoy with a nice cup of homemade honeyed chai (recipe coming soon) and breathe in the afternoon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...