Garden On...


I don't know how many of you know the story of the phrase, "Keep Calm and Carry On", if you don't know the story, I will happily tell you all about it.

In 1939, at the start of the Second World War, the British government produced a poster that said, "Keep Calm and Carry On".  From my understanding, this came at a very difficult time for the British, they were being bombed by the Germans, and as an attempt to keep morale and chins high, the poster was produced and placed on buildings throughout the cities.  So many things came out of the war, wonderful songs, victory gardens, an ability to carry on despite difficulty, and strength that was previously unknown.  I am not saying that war is a good thing in any way.  The loss of life and suffering that abound with it are horrendous, it breaks my heart.  What little good we learn from it seems to give strength.  I love the story of the British and their endeavor to "Carry On", and over the years, they have become sort of heroes to me.  Prince Charles and his relentless fight to preserve the old ways of heirloom and organic farming, a push for back to basics, and a united effort to improve health and well being through whole real food has ignited a spark in me.

I put this antique spoon in my living room in a beautiful orchid to remind me to "Keep Calm and Garden On".  The world in it's seemingly downward spiral with all of the pain and sadness that accompanies it seems to go away when I am in the dirt.  It just kind of disappears and I find myself in a single moment where nothing matters but what I am digging, planting, weeding, or nurturing.  It's  my salvation at times.

I can't wait for Spring, and I just wanted to remind all of you farmgals, no matter how you may feel, no matter how sad or sorrowful the world may be, or how thrilling and exciting things get, the dirt is always there.  It will be there to ground us, lift us, unite us, and bring energy, joy and light to our souls. Have a wonderful day...and GARDEN ON!

Comments

  1. I love this! I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun getting to know you, so glad I have had the chance to meet you in person!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...