Mulligatawny...


All of this seed starting talk and Spring planning craziness makes me hungry!  I have spent the last few days figuring out how many plants of each variety and species I need to plant on the farm this Spring.  It's complicated, and this is the biggest area I have planted ever.  I have had to use too much of my brain and somehow that makes my stomach needy...go figure!

I made this fantastic soup.  I am a big fan of ethnic flavors, especially with having kids.  Introducing them to all kinds of flavors at a young age really helps with picky eaters, at least I think it does.  My little farmhands will eat just about anything because they are used to different flavors and textures.  Plus, we have a rule at the table, you have to try everything on the plate - at least once.  The boys have found that they enjoy a lot of unlikely offerings thanks to this rule, and that makes me a happy mama!


This is a vegan version of Mulligatawny.  You can add meat to the mix if you so desire.  I think it is really filling just as is, but really, what do I know...I'm just having fun eating!  I love soup with a coconut base, and this is right up my alley.  Okay...dark secret...you know when you open a can of coconut milk and the thick creamy stuff is on top?  Well...I "heart" the creamy stuff...I could slink off to a dark closet and eat it all with a big spoon, where no one could see me hogging it all!  Now you know...I have a dark side...or at least a creamy side!!!  You can laugh now, don't worry, I can take it!


A little spicy heat at the end of this soup warms you up on a cold winter night and gives you oodles of energy.  I love the farro, it is chewy and dense.  I cook farro in large batches, same with lentils, and freeze it in one cup portions.  It makes dinner a little easier to get to, and I find we eat out a lot less if I have ingredients ready to go in the freezer.  Give this hearty, sweet, and spicy soup a try.  You will love it!


MULLIGATAWNY
adapted from Hobby Farm "Soups and Stews"

1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
3 small carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 tsp curry
1 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable stock
13 oz coconut milk
1 cup brown or green lentils, cooked
2 cups farro, cooked
1 apple, peeled and shredded
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

Toppings: Shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, cilantro

method:

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery and cook, stirring occassionally until vegetables are slightly softened, about 5-7 minutes.  Add curry, tumeric, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.  Stir and sautee for 2 minutes.  Add the stock and coconut milk, lentils, farro, and apple.  Bring to a gentle boil until apple just starts to break down.  About 10 minutes.  Turn heat to low, add garbanzo beans.  Allow the soup to warm for about 10 minutes to meld to flavors.  

Dish into bowls and top with shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...