Garlicky Green Beans...


I am gonna let y'all in on a little secret, just for Thanksgiving.  I have this great and easy way of making green beans that will melt your pants off!  Did I say that out loud?  Wow!  These couldn't be more simple.  The recipe is more about taste than exact measurements (which is how I really cook all the time - recipes are just suggestions).  You've just gotta taste 'em and feel it out, see if it's just right.  I'll give you some guidelines and you go from there, deal?


These have garlic, butter, dill and almonds.  Great flavors combined with really fresh and crunchy green beans equals delicious.  I made these in mass quantity for a teacher appreciation dinner for my son's school and they were a hit!  I snuck a scoop of them for my lunch, don't tell, they will take it off my required volunteer time.  But, they go great with turkey, or lasagna, or almost anything.  Just pile me up some on a plate... who needs a main course?


GARLICKY GREEN BEANS
backyard farmgals

*This serves approximately four, just up the quantity for a bigger crowd*

Large handful of fresh French green beans, cut into thirds
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin (a mandolin works well, just watch your fingers)
1/2 to 1 tsp dill 
Handful of sliced almonds (you decide how much, I like 'em loaded with almonds)
Salt to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to boil.  Add the green beans and cook for 1-2 minutes, until color just begins to brighten. Strain from boiling water and set aside.


In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add the sliced garlic to the skillet and spread it out so that it can brown. Watch the garlic, you can burn it and then you'll have to start over.  You can turn the heat to medium-low if that makes you feel better.  Just don't go off to paint your toenails or baste a turkey.  When the garlic is just beginning to color, about a minute or two, add the drained green beans to the skillet and stir, coating them with garlic flavored butter.


Are you drooling?  I am.


Add the dill and almonds, stir and let it sit over the heat for a minute or so to bring out the flavors.  Season with sea salt, taste and make sure it is just right.  Plate it up and you have a great and fresh side for Thanksgiving.

Happy Turkey Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...