Lentil Barley Stew Over Wild Rice...

It is cookie making weekend here at the farm.  We make all kinds of goodies in stages, freeze what we can, and get everything made as much as possible for cookie deliveries this next week.  It's a lot of butter and sugar, and no matter how much I try not to nibble, there is always something new to try, something irresistible to take a tiny bite from, I inadvertently eat butter and sugar this weekend!  But who can blame me, I mean really, I make some fierce cookies!!!

To counteract all of that butta' and suga', I try to eat really healthy meals that nourish and keep me from nibbling so much.  I also drink a ton of water; it seems if I have good water with lemon, I sip instead of bite!!!  All these little tricks to keep that farmgal figure tough, ripped, and ready for the dirt next spring!  (I have a really awesome figure in my dreams... move over Sex in the City, who needs that when there's a Farmgal nearby???)
This is so fast, and easy to whip up in a hurry, plus it's super healthy and melts away some of that butter laden guilt.  To make this faster, I like to cook a bunch of rice during the week and then pop it in the fridge, it saves so much time making dinner later; we don't eat out so much when dinner is easy.  Another time saver is that I peeled, diced, blanched and froze four 1-gallon sized bags of carrots from the farm.  It makes a lot less peeling during the week, and they are already par cooked.  I got this idea from USU's greenhouse manager, and I have loved having carrots on hand.  They make great soups, stews, stir fry, or just steamed carrots with butter and sea salt.  They are sweet and tender, and my little farmhands love them!
LENTIL BARLEY STEW OVER WILD RICE
backyard farmgals

Generously serves 4

2 tbsp olive oil
4 carrots, diced
2 medium leeks, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup barley
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
6-8 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
2 cups tomatoes, diced or 1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

2 cups wild rice mix or brown rice, cooked according to package directions.

In a large stock pot, heat oil, add carrots, leeks, celery, zucchini, onion, and garlic.  Sauté for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are just beginning to soften.  Add thyme, barley, lentils, and 6 cups of stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  

Cook, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring often.  Add remaining 2 cups of broth if mixture is dry.  Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes more.  Add parsley and serve over prepared rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...