Succulents In A Skinny Pot...


Because it's raining and because I have at least a million and one things to do, I potted a fabulous succulent pot this morning.  I was feeling rebellious.  Go away to-do list... a little Scarlett O'Hara moment rising up, "I'll think about that tomorra".  I guess I need a little fun.  I did finish planting the farm this weekend and I need to celebrate (this year was rough - too much school, two orthopedic injuries, and one horrible case of bronchitis that became a sinus infection from you-can-guess-where; May was not a good month for me).  This not-so-little nursery near me sells a big variety of tiny succulents in 2-inch pots.  They are so cute, I could buy a truckload of them, but I settled for enough to fill this stellar skinny metal pot that I have.



I love succulents, they have texture and color in all shades of greens and purples, even a little pink.  I love the chunky leaves and stout fat shapes.  They are a texture freaks dream come true.  When potting these, I don't leave a lot of space between plants.  I want them to bump into each other, and crowd the space.  I want them to be "close talkers" if ya' know what I mean (thanks Seinfeld).  That way I get the full effect of texture.

I planted a larger succulent pot also.  Similar to the one I did last year, but a little more bold and contrasting colors.  I added a Scotch moss because I love the texture it adds, it's a little ferny and delicate and it will fill in the cracks and crevices.  I can't wait for it to fill in.  This one I plant quite tight as well.  I want these to stretch and move over the edge of the pot.  These are larger plants and will grow much faster than my little bitty ones.  This one is potted in regular potting soil.  The skinny pot is in cactus soil with a layer of gravel at the bottom.



If you are feeling the need for a little texture, try working with succulents.  They are so fun.  You will love the posh look that they give.  They are a little formal with a whole lotta awesome worked in.  They just pop.  I get so many people stopping to see the succulent pots at home and the farmer's market!  I think they are addictive, a little like chocolate!  One nibble just isn't enough...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...