Temptress...


I had to share this beautiful flower with you.  She was the first to bloom at the farm in the sunflower patch that we have growing there.  I found seeds for black sunflowers this last spring, but I have to say that I planted them with a bit of doubt.  Would they really be black???  Ye of little faith!  Here she is black and glorious.  I squealed with delight when I saw her bloom on Sunday morning.  She is absolutely gorgeous, dark and mysterious, completely stunning... 


The variety of species and diversity is astounding to me.  I am continually baffled by the idea that there are over 5,000 types of tomatoes.  How will I ever get to all of them???  What is so amazing is that diversity is what keeps our planet going.  Without it, we would be just a potato blight away from sure starvation.  Remember Ireland???  The thing is that there are several large companies in favor of doing away with diversity, patenting seeds, and requiring farmers to plant only certain varieties of plants that benefit companies, not consumers or farmers.  By planting heirloom and diverse crops, we can save species of plants that are in danger of annihilation and fight against this idea that only a few genetically engineered varieties to feed the masses.  It's a dangerous idea to limit our diversity.


I had to share her beautiful bloom with you all.  Maybe you will squeal with delight too.  Keep planting and searching out the marvelous arieties that make our world so interesting.  Without things like black sunflowers, Mortgage Lifter tomatoes and Ruby Queen corn the world would be such a dull place, don't you think?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...