Auld Lang Syne...

I have been reflecting on 2017 and everything that it brought into my life and the life of my family.  This year has been a very stressful but equally successful year.  

Some of the highlights this year were:

  • My oldest winning the science fair with his project on infrared radiation and global warming.
  • My youngest playing soccer with his dad coaching the team.
  • Completing the kitchen remodel in the barn (it is absolutely beautiful and I am VERY spoiled).
  • A weekend trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park.
  • Celebrating being married and not killing each other for 17 wonderful years.
  • Growing a beautiful kitchen garden... the tomatoes this year were out of this world.
  • My youngest growing a cabbage larger than himself for a school project.
  • Speaking at the ASHS National Conference in freaking Hawaii - life was rough for a whole week and I didn't even have to pay for it...
  • Visiting Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and the Amish in Pennsylvania with my mama.
  • Being awarded a scholarship to be among the first group of graduate students invited to NC-140 which is a fruit tree research group from the top universities in the nation.  I got to speak which was an incredible opportunity.  This was at Wenatchee, Washington and we toured the biggest orchards I have ever seen.  It was life changing...
  • Interviewing for and getting my DREAM JOB.  I am now an assistant professor working for USU as the Davis County Horticulture Extension Agent.  I love every minute of this job!  I get to run the Master Gardener Program for Davis County, Utah and it has been a blast.  Plus, I get to teach a few college level courses on the side which is great fun. 
  • Defending a Master's Thesis.  This was incredibly stressful, but I passed and am now graduated! (And the crowd goes wild... ahhhhhhh!!!!)  The absolute BEST part of this was that my kids got to see me finish this.  That meant the most to me, that they were in that room with me.
  • Publishing a thesis.  This was also incredibly stressful and I think the intention of this work was to attempt to murder me.  I fought hard and won... I'm still here.  If you ever need to fall asleep in about 1 minute you can read all 100 pages of nerdy research here.
  • Taking off two whole days after Christmas has been guilt-ridden bliss.  I have slept, and slept, and slept, and played Nintendo with my kids, and it has been the BEST.  
Grateful as I am for the wonderful things that 2017 brought me and my family, I am ready for 2018 and the challenges, beauty, and moments of joy that it will bring.  

How about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...