Raw Beet Salad...


I love beets.  I love the way they smell, the earthiness of their taste, I even love the way they stain your hands pink.  The problem with beets is that I feel there are so few ways to prepare them, and I think that people get bored with the same old steamed beets.  I love mine roasted with sea salt, olive oil and balsamic, but that heats up the kitchen, and in 100ºF weather, I can do without heating up the kitchen!

A friend gave me a recipe for beet salad, and I have given it a bit of a Farmgal makeover, adding a few things, and getting rid of a few ingredients.  This is lovely and fresh.  Best of all, it is raw and requires not one bit of heat (which is good news for my kitchen!).  All you need is a mandolin with a small julienne attachment - just be sure to use the finger guard, those beets are slippery!  My seven-year-old gobbled this down, the four-year-old was a bit more cautious but eventually ate it too.  It's tasty and has definitely passed the kid test!  I feel great after eating this and since beets are loaded with vitamins, I know that I am eating well too.



RAW BEET SALAD
adapted by backyard farmgals


4 medium sized beets (I used 2 golden and 2 detroit dark red), julienned
1 medium carrot, julienned
2 cups chard, shredded
1/4 bunch green onions, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
handful of sliced almonds
2 tbsp sesame seeds

dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove raw garlic (I used metichi because of the heat)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
dash of pepper

Make the dressing first.  In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sesame oil and soy sauce.  It should thicken and turn an opaque tan color.  Add the garlic, basil, parsley, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.  Taste and adjust seasonings as you feel necessary.

Add the vegetables to the dressing, tossing with your hands to combine.  Toss until everything is well coated.  Transfer to a serving bowl and top with a few more sesame seeds for garnish.  

You will love this, you must give it a go!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Cream Crumble Pie...

Keeping Bees Through the Winter...

Chicken Tractor...